Wednesday 6 February 2013

Get treasure, try not to drown

That sums up the story behind the lovely little board game my husband brought me for Christmas   Sure I was expecting the Buffy Season 8 trade books, but this was a great surprise- only slightly spoiled by the fact that my dad told me the day before Christmas what it was!

Beloved husband brought me Forbidden Island for Christmas- he knew I enjoy playing co-operative board games like this and we'd played it before at the wonderful Chapter Arts board gaming sundays when we could wrangle a babysitter.  It's a beautiful little game, lovely art work and I love the fact that the box is in fact a beautiful tin, with a place for all the bits!  The fact that this was the first thing I thought when I tore open the wrapping paper told me that I am now starting to be a serious board gamer!

You generate the island randomly with some gorgeous tiles.  There are 8 tiles where you can collect treasure across the island and a heli-pad- then the island starts to flood.  Flooded tiles are flipped and if you draw ta flipped tile's card for a second time that tile is removed- it's sunk.  If the treasure squares flood before you have that bit of treasure you drown, if the heli-pad gets flooded it's game over- and the island sinks fast.

As far as game play goes, it's fast- you can play a full game with 2 people in 20 minutes, less with more players.  It's also very easy to pick up and play, taking only a moment to explain the game mechanic to new players.  The other thing I love about the game is that it's truly co-operative- there's no sabotage mechanic here, you either all get off the island, or all drown!  What's not to love!

The game can be purchased here via my amazon affiliate account Other reviews are available via boardgamegeek.com

No comments:

Post a Comment